Friday, July 2, 2021

Panic! at the Disco

I'm not prone to panic. And I haven't been to too many discos. But one thing that always induces panic in me is...visiting a government office for something I need. Jury duty, renewing your license, that kind of thing. Today was one of those days. You see, we moved recently to Louisiana. And today I have to go get our vehicles registered. I poured over the website to find out the process. It was no help at all. Why don't states have tabs at the top of their websites that say "New to (insert state name here)?" Then they can give you step-by-step guides to how their state works. "Need electricity (who doesn't), click here". "Here's what you need to get your driver's license".  Doesn't seem that hard, but nobody does it. Today I couldn't find the registration for my truck and it sent me over the edge. "Why isn't it in my glove box?" I have no idea. That said, here's why we panic when dealing with the government. They hold all the power and they often make stupid little rules that try to solve one tiny problem, but create dozens of new ones. And they have long lines. Because the citizenry HAS to go to them. If we don't, they have the power to fine us and potentially jail us. It rarely goes that far, but the threat is enough to make people government-averse. We need to find a way to make the government work like, yes, Chick-Fil-A. Or even In-N-Out. Fast, efficient service with a smile. And while we're at it, let's have all the DMV heads from the 50 states get together and figure out a system that's the same across the nation. Yeah, that would be nice.

No comments: